Isolating the shower spot from the rest of the bathroom is one of the purposes of glass shower doors. These transparent doors not only support the cleanliness of the bathroom but also make it attractive through a modern touch. One thing to note here is that glass shower doors are not maintenance-free. Because the bathroom remains wet more often, these glass doors can attract dirt to their shiny surface and appear tarnished. So, how to clean shower glass when such things happen? Rest assured, this article talks about the topic in detail, but only with quality tips.
What Makes Shower Glass Dirty?
Several common causes are responsible for dirty shower glass doors. We have listed these causes in detail below.
- Soap Scum: Scum is formed by a combination of soap and hard water. This grime often sticks to the glass shower doors while taking a shower. When this grime dries, it leaves unsightly stains on the doors.
- Hard Water: Hard water is a real problem for glass shower doors. Hard water contains calcium, magnesium, and bicarbonate ions. Calcium reacts with bicarbonate ions to form a limescale layer (calcium bicarbonate). This layer gets deposited on the surface of the glass but very slowly. If you overlook limescale for too long, its layer gets thicker and harder to remove. A sub-topic on how to clean glass shower doors with hard water stains would be included later in this post.
How to Clean Shower Glass?
Cleaning shower glass is not a time taking task. You can read out quality tips on cleaning glass shower doors below.
List of Things Needed in Cleaning Shower Glass
Here is a list of things you need to clean dirty glass shower doors.
- A clean piece of cotton cloth.
- Sponge for rubbing the glass surface.
- Spray bottle.
- Safety gloves.
- WD-40 lubricant for shower door runners.
- Functional bathroom ventilation.
- Window vacuum cleaner (optional).
5 Best Ways to Clean Shower Glass
We are listing five tips on how to clean glass shower doors. You are not supposed to employ all the tips below. Just choose the one which suits you the best.
- Vinegar: Do you want to know how to clean shower glass with vinegar? Take a 100 ml cup and add 50 ml water and 50 ml vinegar. Then pour this solution into a spray bottle and add one tablespoon of baking soda. Shake the bottle well to mix all the ingredients. Now start spraying this solution on the glass shower doors. Wait 15 to 20 minutes, then wash the doors with warm water. After cleaning, wipe the doors thoroughly with a cotton cloth. Looking for info on how to clean glass shower doors with hard water stains? This sub-topic is exactly for you.
- Commercial Glass Cleaner: If you don’t want to use a home remedy for cleaning shower doors, opt for a commercial glass cleaner. Simply spray the cleaner onto the glass door, leave for 5-10 minutes for the stain to dissolve, and then wash with water. These cleaners are a convenient way to see immediate results without much effort. For people with limited time who need a quick cleaning, commercial glass cleaners are the best way to clean shower glass.
- Lemon Juice and Table Salt: Lemon juice is acidic, which is perfect for breaking down the chemical structure of limescale and grime. This method can not only be used for cleaning glass shower screens, but also clean shower heads and bathroom taps. Take about 50 ml of lemon juice and add two tablespoons of common salt to it. Use a sponge to apply this mixture to your glass shower doors. Wait 15 to 20 minutes, then wash the doors with warm water. Dry the glass surface as soon as possible to avoid water spots.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Equally mix hydrogen peroxide and water in a 1-to-1 ratio. Apply this solution to your glass shower doors with the help of a spray bottle. Wait 5 to 10 minutes, then wipe the glass surface. Wear gloves when handling hydrogen peroxide because it is an acidic shower glass cleaner and can irritate the skin.
- Diluted Hydrochloric Acid: Mix one part acid with one part water and pour the solution over your glass shower doors. Wait 15 to 20 minutes, then wash the doors with warm water. Dry them immediately with a clean cotton cloth. Use this tip only when all else fails to clean your glass shower doors. Wear protective gloves before handling hydrochloric acid. Also, open your bathroom’s ventilation windows to keep air flowing and the gases out.
How to Keep Shower Glass Clean?
If cleaning glass shower doors seems exhausting, use the preventive measures below to keep shower glass clean and clear most of the time.
- Stop Using Soap: Replace your soap with a good quality liquid body wash. Unlike soap, liquid body wash products do not contain any fats and oils, so they do not form scum with hard water. Besides, the softer the shower gel is for the skin, the less dirt it will produce at the glass shower door.
- Use a Wiper/Window Vacuum Cleaner: It is mandatory to wipe the glass surface after every shower to avoid stains. You can use a handheld wiper or a window vacuum cleaner which gives you more comfort while cleaning glass shower doors.
- Ventilation: Bathroom ventilation must be functional at all times. Ventilation regulates the humidity in the bathroom and keeps it dry. Open the glass shower doors after each bathing session to allow fresh air to enter your shower area.
- Water and Dirt Repellents: Some chemicals act as water repellants. You can buy these repellents and spray them on glass shower doors before showering. Repellents make the glass surface smooth enough to prevent water and grime from sticking.
- Regular Cleaning: Regular cleaning is essential to keep glass shower doors in good condition. The frequency of cleaning glass shower doors depends on the cleanliness of your bathroom and many other factors. However, it’s advisable to give a thorough cleaning to your glass shower doors at least a week by following the methods above.
The best way to avoid spoiling the bathroom interior is to check and clean the glass shower doors. Uncleaned shower doors will still attract your attention but with ugly stains and streaks. We assume that you are not one of those who want such a bathroom. So, hope this detailed article can help you out on how to clean glass shower screens. Just be sure to be gentle with glass shower doors and try to maintain them regularly.
FAQ about How to Clean Shower Glass
Yes! WD-40 is a penetrating oil used to break down rust build-up. It is for loosening stuck bolts, screws, and metal parts. You can also use it to clean limescale off glass shower doors. Spray WD-40 on the affected glass shower doors, wait 10 to 15 minutes, then wipe the doors down with a clean cloth. It is safe to use with glass surfaces.
Of course. The entire function of your shower door depends on door runners. So how to clean shower screen runners? Keep them clean by removing debris, grime, or limescale build-up around them. Apply some lubricant between the wheels for smooth operation. Keep the shower door runners as dry as possible.
In winter, we use hot water for a bath. When the hot water vapors touch the surface of the glass, their temperature drops, turning them into moisture. This moisture sticks to glass shower doors and makes them foggy. Wipe the shower door or screen with a dry cloth. Do not let moisture on the surface of the glass for too long, as it will leave a stain when it dries.